LSVT - Parkinson's Treatment
LSVT BIG is an intensive, amplitude focused physical and occupational therapy approach, developed from principles of the effective Parkinson’s specific speech treatment LSVT LOUD. The LSVT Programs have been developed and scientifically researched over the past 25 years with funding from the National Institutes of Health. Research shows that after LSVT BIG treatments, people with Parkinson’s Disease showed improvement on motor function testing. Improvements include:
- Faster walking with bigger steps
- Improved balance
- Increased trunk rotation
- Improvements in activities of daily living such as bed mobility
- Improved Motor Score
How can Physical Therapy help?
It is essential that LSVT BIG treatment is only delivered by physical or occupational therapists certified in this method. LSVT BIG is a standardized treatment protocol, customized to the unique goals of each patient including both gross and fine motor skills. LSVT BIG can be adapted or progressed in order to meet each patient’s needs across a wide range of disease severity and presenting impairments.
LSVT BIG treatment consists of:
- 16 sessions: 4 consecutive days a week for 4 weeks
- Individual 1 hour sessions
- Daily homework practice
- Daily carryover exercises
More Information and FAQs
How much is the program?
- Price of program will vary depending on your insurance coverage.
Who will I be working with?
- Depends on the location you chose for therapy; currently this service is offered in Outpatient and Skilled Nursing Facilities. We have over 30 LSVT Certified Therapists and Assistants who have completed comprehensive training in the techniques and protocol for the LSVT treatment.
Where do I call and who do I ask for?
- Outpatient appointments can be scheduled with the front desk office assistant at the following clinics:
PEORIA- UNITYPOINT METHODIST ATRIUM 309-672-4568
PTS WASHINGTON 309-886-2305 PTS PEKIN 309-353-5940
- Skilled Nursing Facilities offering these services:
SNYDER VILLAGE – METAMORA 309-367-4300 EXT 3
LIBERTY VILLAGE - PEORIA MANOR 309-693-1400
Do I need a referral?
- Although no physician referral is needed to see a physical therapist, some insurance companies may require a referral for coverage.
For other questions or concerns, please call us at the Methodist Atrium (309-672-4568) and we will be happy to assist you.